“It’s hot. Damn hot.” This movie quote from Good morning, Vietnam rings through my head at the start of each sweltering summer season. It’s as though I forget from year-to-year that the more relaxed pace of longer lazy days and balmy evenings are accompanied by blazing hot sun and thick humid air.
To make these warmer temperatures a bit more tolerable, the folks at HelloFresh–the super convenient and tasty meal kit and wine club service–have come up with refreshing summer recipes with a summer essential, Rosé, to make a watermelon-induced frozé, sangria ice cubes, and dressed-up jello shots you’ll want to have on display at your next soiree.
1 Bottle Rosé
2 Cups Watermelon
1/2 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
1/4 Cup Aperol
2 Ounces Agave Syrup
Mint, for garnish
- Pour Rosé into an ice cube tray and freeze six hours (or overnight).
- Combine (almost) frozen Rosé, watermelon, lime juice, Aperol, and agave syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place blender in freezer until cocktail thickens up, about 30 minutes.
- Blend another 30 seconds, then pour and serve with a garnish of mint and watermelon.
Sangria Ice Cubes
2 Cups Rosé
1/4 Cup Coconut Water
1/4 Cup Triple Sec
Raspberries, Blueberries, and Blackberries
- Combine Rosé, coconut water, and triple sec. Mix well to combine.
- Slice lemon, orange, lime, and kiwi into pieces tiny enough to fit into an ice cube tray.
- Arrange fruit in the tray in whatever pattern you’d like (a rainbow gradient would be beautiful!). Fill ice tray with wine mixture, then freeze overnight.
- Top with leftover Rosé and soda water.
Rosé Jello Shots
8 1/2 Ounces Rosé
1 1/2 Ounces Fresh Lime Juice
4 Ounces Grenadine
2 Envelopes Unflavored Gelatin
2 Ounces Citron Vodka
White Cake Pearls
- Lightly spray ice cube tray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine rosé, lime juice, and grenadine over medium heat. Stir in gelatin and consistently mix until gelatin dissolves, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vodka.
- Pour liquid into ice cube tray and refrigerate until completely set, 4 hours (or overnight).
- Remove jello shots from mold and sprinkle with white cake pearls. Refrigerate until ready to serve.